Saturday, September 14, 2013

Details of the Car

Hi, everyone! I started this blog to keep "the world" updated on my extremely vanilla 1965 Ford Mustang Notchback restoration! I bought the Mustang around November 2012, as a gift to myself for my Senior year in high school. I am classifying this "restoration" as "A Poor College Student's Restoration". It will not be show-quality at all, but it will not be a neglected daily driver either.

The Goal:
The goal of the restoration is to perform a restomod-type of build. It won't be anything extreme, and as a comparison, this is what I hope the car to look like at the end:
you can see more pictures of the car and the interior (which I also want in my restoration) at: http://www.streetsideclassics.com/showcar.php/cha/1470/1965

It's a very classy-type of build, and looks very elegant in my eyes. Hopefully this will all fit into a poor college student's budget!

The Car:
The car is a 1965 Hardtop, bought for $4500, here are the more specific details from the data tag:
Body: Hardtop
Interior: Standard Interior, Ivy Gold Vinyl w/ Gold Trim
Color: Ivy Green
Date (Scheduled to be) Made: August 31, 1964 (but not considered a 64.5, argh!)
DSO: Los Angeles
Engine: 289 2V (C-Code)
Built at the San Jose, CA plant! 

The car was made in, and spent all of its life in California! Great!

SO, without further a due, here are some initial pictures of the car before the restoration:


















Now, something interesting about the car itself is that, I believe that it is all original BUT I also believe that a previous restoration was attempted, but with a 1966 Mustang as a donor car. Why? The first, more obvious things that pop out, is that the grille and the car covers from a 1966 mustang.

In addition, according to the engine data tag, the engine itself is actually transplanted from a 1966 mustang! It is still the same model, a 289 2V, but just from 1966 (hence the blue valve covers). Not quite sure about the complete originality of all the interior items or other mechanical items, but I assume they are all original Ford parts.

The restoration began around December 2012, and it still continues to this day! I do have a looot of pictures of dis assembly and restoration but it will take a while to type all of it up! So, my next post will be about my latest restoration  of the undercarriage/engine compartment. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment